Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Speakers, Pics and New Talent Tricks


For those of you who might not know, I have gone through a slight obsession with paintings, which resulted in a current mild obsession with painting which I decided to nurture through the purchase of an art/painting set and easel that really were more than I should have spent on myself at the time, but in a word you might say I was, well obsessed :) However, my generous father decided to relieve me of the burden and purchase it for me as a graduation gift! Really, I was (and am) delighted! Now only if I could come up with more canvases....


Anyway! Since I'm not the only one graduating.... (actually, I'm not even graduating at all right now! I'm just walking since my husband is really graduating now and since I'll be done at the end of the summer, I wanted to walk in the ceremony at the same time........) my parents wanted to do something equally nice for my husband as well. Me, being the practical wife that I ALWAYS am (as you can tell by my recent purchase mentioned above...), suggested a new suit! I thought, hey! What a great idea for a man about to enter into "real" employment!

Unfortunately, my husband didn't seem to see it my way exactly. While he was grateful for the offer of a new suit, when he realized it was my idea and not my parents, he quickly asked if it would be alright to put the money to another use... namely new speakers. You can just IMAGINE how tickled I was with THAT idea! I mean come ON! We already have 9 speakers set up in our living room, plus an additional SIX outside! What was the boy thinking?!

Well, much to my joy, the speakers arrived just the other day.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........... I was really having a hard time seeing the silver lining to this cloud - which is COMPLETELY reasonable since I am ALWAYS very practical in my purchases.... - (I'm kidding).

Anyway, we got talking and I realized that hubby-cakes is actually thinking of possibly getting into DJing - for now, at least for fun and to get some experience - you know, mostly friends weddings, small dances or parties... that type of thing. Just for a hobby, at least until he figures out if he really likes it or not. So we contacted a friend getting married this summer and she was excited ( I think ) to let him give it a go!

Then the wheels got turning... you see, this same friend let me take her bridals and while I'm definitely not a professional, let's just say I was happy there were at least a few she seems to want to use. Not bad, I thought. Especially for my first attempt at something like this. This mild success bit me with a little bit of a photo bug and tonight I got talking to my sister about possibly buying her quality digital camera off of her when and if she decides to upgrade in the next few months. Next, My Man and I realized we could easily make still photo wedding videos (slide shows being another mild obsession of mine) and provide a projector to make a pretty cool music video to present at receptions! And BOOM! All of a sudden I start dreaming up music/photo wedding and party packages and of the nice $ we could make on the side while enjoying a few hobbies, developing talents and spending some time together!

Ok, so perhaps I'm going a little overboard - but hey! At this point in time, what do we really have to loose?! And if nothing else, at least it helps me not go COMPLEATLY insane with the thought of 2 MORE speakers in our lives! :)

2 comments:

Que Sera said...

I'm glad to see that all of your talents are going to good use. I can see why seeing all of those speakers could get a little annoying...I'm kind of glad I don't have to live with them. Him and his electronics. At least your paintings are more beautiful than his speakers.

pinkfluffysparkle said...

That was good Rachel. ;) Her paintings are definitely more beautiful than his speakers. :)